FANDOM


  • RinasaurusRex
    RinasaurusRex closed this thread because:
    Changes implemented, thread inactive.
    13:24, October 12, 2019

    Hey folks,

    I'm considering making some updates to the Which egg is which? page, and wanted to give some time for community feedback before changing things around. There are two points I want to address:

    1. Table columns

    Currently, the tables have columns for "Egg", "Description", "Breed", and "Rarity". I'd like to replace "Rarity" with "Habitat". Personally, that seems like a more useful datapoint to see when trying to find which egg I saw, particularly in the case of colliding descriptions. If people find utility in the "Rarity" section, we'll see if we can find a way to preserve it and include habitat as well.

    2. Colliding descriptions

    Currently, we list colliding descriptions once, and displaying all breeds that share that description with it. This means that the subsequent dragons sharing a description appear out of alphabetical order, such as "Pink Dragon" sorting beside "Flamingo Wyvern". I'd like to switch to listing each dragon in their correct alphabetical place, and displaying the shared descriptions multiple times. I'd also like to include a footnote that the description is shared between whichever breeds. With this change, we'd also be able to implement table sorting, so descriptions could be sorted alphabetically by breed or biome.

    Let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or further suggestions on this topic.

    Thanks!

    RinasaurusRex (talk) 20:30, August 13, 2019 (UTC)

      Loading editor
    • Also thinking about breaking the tables down by the major morphology groups (Dragon, Two-headed, Pygmy, and Drake).

      lmk if that seems like it'd be useful, or if we prefer one big list.

      RinasaurusRex (talk) 23:08, August 14, 2019 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • This would be nice.

        Loading editor
    • Glad you think so. :)

      I've started drafting the changes in User:RinasaurusRex/Draft:Which egg is which? if anyone has any comments or suggestions before the change is formally implemented.

      RinasaurusRex (talk) 01:30, August 18, 2019 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • Alright, I've got drafts ready for review.

      The first draft, User:RinasaurusRex/Draft:Which egg is which? has the column update and shared description notes added.

      The second draft, User:RinasaurusRex/Draft:Which egg is which?/v2 has the same update, but also has the tables divided by breeding groups.

      Let me know which y'all prefer, and any other comments or suggestions about this update you may have!

      Thanks,

      RinasaurusRex (talk) 16:23, August 24, 2019 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • I really like this idea and your drafts. In that context habitat is clearly more important than rarity especially since the rarities are such a controversial topic overall. Besides, it helps with telling apart breeds that share a description.

      I think it's nice and convenient to see all dragons in alphabetical order. That's why I'd also prefer one long list as we have now, with the distinction of year-round dragons and holiday dragons only.

        Loading editor
    • Between comments here, on the forums and discord servers, it looks like more people are interested in version two of the draft, which includes breaking down the tables by breeding sub-groups. I'm going to go ahead and implement that version for now, and leave this thread open a few more days for additional feedback once the update's live.

      Thanks!

      RinasaurusRex (talk) 20:00, August 30, 2019 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • That's okay! It's important to have the habitat shown there, anyway. Thanks for organising the update!

        Loading editor
    • Just noticed this comment chain when the update came out x:

      I really like that the habitat is included, but personally miss the rarity- I use it when trying to reference what is a roughly equivalent trade.

      I can get why habitat is more important though, and between rares there is even high variability (copper isn't as rare as gold, etc). Not sure if there's a good way to include it, or if I'm the only one who misses it.

        Loading editor
    • Gathouria wrote: I really like that the habitat is included, but personally miss the rarity- I use it when trying to reference what is a roughly equivalent trade.

      I can get why habitat is more important though, and between rares there is even high variability (copper isn't as rare as gold, etc). Not sure if there's a good way to include it, or if I'm the only one who misses it.

      We do have the Dragon Rarity Guide, which is in need of cleanup and restructuring. Would that be helpful to you for this purpose? I can put some time into getting it cleaned up this week. :)

      Thanks,

      RinasaurusRex (talk) 17:45, September 4, 2019 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • RinasaurusRex wrote:

      We do have the Dragon Rarity Guide, which is in need of cleanup and restructuring. Would that be helpful to you for this purpose? I can put some time into getting it cleaned up this week. :)

      That would definitely work for having the functionality! I miss having it on one page, but I can live with it being in a dedicated area with more details. Having the rarity info easy to see by itself up top can also help to clear up possible any misconceptions about rarities being strict ratings.

      Is that something that could go on the main page itself, like how the Which Egg is Which? is linked, or is there a better location for it?

        Loading editor
    • Gathouria wrote: That would definitely work for having the functionality! I miss having it on one page, but I can live with it being in a dedicated area with more details. Having the rarity info easy to see by itself up top can also help to clear up possible any misconceptions about rarities being strict ratings.

      Is that something that could go on the main page itself, like how the Which Egg is Which? is linked, or is there a better location for it?

      Of course! Once I'm done cleaning up I'll make sure to include it in the front page links. :)

      I'm gonna take the Rarity Guide updates to their own thread (Thread:27267), but I'm working on restructuring the guide to be more like WIEW since the table structure seems to be helpful to a lot of users.

      Thanks!

      RinasaurusRex (talk) 12:55, September 5, 2019 (UTC)

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.