An incubator was an image you could post in signatures and various websites, showing your dragons and allowing people to click them. They were very widely used in the Dragon Cave forum, because it is against the rules to post your individual eggs (it causes spam and lag). The offical Dragon Cave incubator could be made for everybody's scroll, and looked like a piece of parchment with pictures of the user's dragons on it. Only one incubator could be generated per scroll per half hour. This option was available by clicking the "Generate Incubator" link at the top of a scroll.
This feature has since been phased out on the site, and the term now refers to similar images that are instead generated by fansites.
When this page was clicked, a number of options appeared, including:
- Sort Order: This included options such as age, breed and scroll order. You could also choose whether eggs, hatchlings, frozen hatchlings and/or adults showed, and whether or not duplicate sprites were allowed.
- Display: This changed what you allowed to be seen inside your incubator. You had the choice whether or not to show your eggs, hatchlings, frozen hatchlings, and adults.
- Size: The size of the individual tiles was either Normal (36x48), or Small (24x32). Normal tiles were larger, but more Small tiles could fit on an incubator. The option "Automatic" selected whichever tiles made sense based on incubator size and number of dragons.
- The size of the incubator itself was either Large or Small; there was also an Automatic option.
- Uploading: You had the option of not uploading, or to upload the incubator to ImageShack, TinyPic, or CDN.
- Other: Lastly, you also had the choice of including your username on the incubator.