Valentine's Day is also a holiday celebrated on DragCave since 2009. Every year, a new Valentine's dragon will be released for a brief time while those from previous years can produce eggs of their own kind. Since 2012, the day is now also associated with a matching event.
Events and Dragons released over Valentine's Day so far:
- 2009: Spontaneous release of the Valentine Dragon (TJ09 implemented them roughly 15 minutes before the date rolled over to the 14th EST).
- 2010: The release of the Sweetling. An initial glitch caused the eggs to auto-abandon during the start of this event; as an apology, the affected scrolls were given alternate-colored Sweetlings with the color scheme of black and red, now known as Alt Sweetlings. This was the first event in which Spriter's Alts were intentionally introduced to DragCave.
- 2011: Release of the Rosebud Dragon.
- 2012: The first Valentine's Day event, "Send a Valentine", was introduced to users together with the release of the Heartseeker Dragon.
- 2013: "Send a Flower" event took place, similar to the previous "Send a Valentine" event. Arsani Dragon was released into the cave.
- 2014: The "Gardening" event occurred, similar to the previous Valentine's events. The Radiant Angel Dragon was released into the cave.
- 2015: "Dragon Matchmaking" event occurred. Decorations could be collected and used to decorate your chosen dragon's cave in order to attract a mate for them. This was also when the Heartstealing Dragon was released.
- 2016: "Giant Wings and Shiny Things" event occurred, featuring 7 stories across one week written in a "choose your own adventure" style. The Mutamore Dragon was released at the start of this event.
- 2017: "Valentine's Day 2017" event occurred, featuring a choose-your-own-adventure style text-based story with environmental artwork. The Soulstone Dragon was released at the start of this event- it was originally released as the "Cermorvus Dragon" but due to internal issues, the sprites and dragon were changed upon TJ09's dragons becoming adults. This dragon is the first breed on the site to have all of its spriters remain anonymous as a result of this event.
- 2018: The "Flowers & Dragons" event occurred, adding to the site a large range of sprited dragon portraits and flower/item sprites. Players could interact with these dragons, sharing dialogue, and ask them to collect flowers/items on their behalf. These flowers/items could then be paired with cards to send out with a message to other players on the site. The Floral-Crowned Dragon was released at the start of this event. This year was also special as it featured the introduction of a new special holiday-themed habitat added to the cave temporarily during the Valentine's Day period. This new habitat re-released Cave-Born versions of previous Valentine's Day dragons that users could catch if they had missed out on previous years. This year also saw changes to the Alt Sweetling mechanics. Originally, it was announced that they would be retired altogether, but this was adapted into a compromise after negative feedback from the player base. Currently, only those who possess Alts on their scrolls can produce more Alt Sweetlings, with the egg having to stay on their scroll to Alt. If an Alt scroll holder obtains a regular Sweetling egg from another player, it will remain as a regular Sweetling rather than Alt.
All items (17)