|Release Date||May 21, 2006|
|Elemental Affinity||Dark |
|Spriters ||Silverdrak, |
Black Dragons were part of the original species of dragons first released on the site in 2006 during its inception. They are one of a select few breeds to possess an "Alt" (alternate form of the same species). Alts of any breed are rare, and with the exception of Honorable Mention prizes and TJ09's Cave Born Thuweds, Alts can only be obtained from bred eggs. There were some glitches in previous years producing Cave Born Alt Blacks but this has since been fixed.
Black Alt hatchlings come in both sitting and curled varieties (only one of the two possible alt hatchlings is available at a time), though both types grow up into the standard Black Alt adult. The rarity of these two hatchling forms changes periodically, so many users choose to freeze the hatchlings for collection purposes. Prior to mid-November 2008, eggs for Alts and regulars were slightly different, allowing the user to tell before hatching whether or not the dragon was an Alt. This has since been changed, and now users must wait for eggs to hatch to reveal this. There is no known method for increasing your chances of receiving an Alt.
Official Dragon DescriptionsEdit
"This egg has a faint green glow around it."
"Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. Its eyes glow brightly at night, and it enjoys attacking insects and small animals."
"Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. Its eyes glow brightly at night, and it enjoys attacking insects and small animals.
And look! It's grown its wings! It must be close to maturing."
"Black dragons are warriors. They are strong and capable in battles of force, but also ample magic users, capable of devastating opponents with their spells. Their bright eyes give them excellent night vision, which is why they generally hunt during the night."
- Silverdrak (All)
Sprites No Longer In-UseEdit
|Temporary Holiday Sprites|
| / |
|Stage 0||Stage 1||Stage 2||Stage 3||Stage 4||Stage 5||Dead|
- Black hatchlings are like many other dragons and are hatched without wings.
- Have three toes on every foot.
- Their scales are pure black in color, while their horns, belly plates, and claws are usually a cream color (though some dragons have a different coloration).
- Third toe on the front limbs can function as a primitive thumb.
- Hardened scales give good protection against teeth and claws.
- Glowing green eyes give them excellent night vision.
- Black dragons are skilled fliers.
- Most black dragons bear battle scars, which they consider trophies.
- Black hatchlings are very curious and active.
- Hatchlings enjoy hunting insects and small mammals.
- Hatchlings prefer stalking and attacking games.
- May snap at strangers.
- Have surprisingly sharp teeth.
- Though small, black hatchlings should be taken seriously as their sharp teeth and claws can do a lot of damage.
- Their saliva is said to be extremely acidic.
- Constantly prowl their territory in search of intruders.
- Prefer the night because of the cover given by the dark.
- Blacks are skilled fliers that are more than capable of outmaneuvering their opponents (or prey).
- Females are picky; males are expected to prove their strength in combat.
- Pairs typically care for offspring through adolescence.
- Once hatchlings are grown the adults will chase them from their territory. Black adults also rarely stay together beyond one breeding cycle.
- Prefer temperate climates and rocky places that have caves.
- Will dig tunnels if they are unable to find a cave.
- Aren’t picky about foliage cover so long as there is ample food.
- Very territorial; will not allow dragons of the same breed nearby, but may get along with smaller breeds.
- Caves are used only for sleeping unless they have a clutch.
- Nests are built of bones and fur.
- Their preferred caves are in high places where they can look over their land.
- Carnivorous, typically hunt large mammals.
- Have been seen fishing.
- Occasionally eat fruit.
- The original black dragon sprite is a recolored version of a sprite from Breath of Fire II.
- At one point, Black eggs did not have a green glow, but this was added to the egg sprite in January 2009.
- Prior to Dimorphism, the only sprites used for common and alt Blacks were the ones currently used for males. The old male sprite received a small update during Dimorphism as well.